Steve,

There have been some terrific responses with some great advice.

I'll focus only on the interface between the radio and the PC's soundcard.
Even for casual usage, I'd recommend that you not use the built-in soundcard
that came with your computer, and that you probably use for PC things like
playing CDs or DVD sound, or even Echolink, VOIP or other PC mike/speakers
usage.

So either get an interface with an external soundcard built into it (the
Signalink USB is an excellent choice), or somehow get a 2nd soundcard for your
PC that you will use only for digital mode applications.

Just a few years ago, I'd have recommended for your tower or desktop PC that
you simply add a cheap sound card.  But many people now are using laptops that
don't support adding cards to them.  So if you don't go with a combined
interface/soundcard device like the Signalink, I'd recommend you get an
external soundcard connected to the PC with a USB cable.  There are good ones
from the Creative Soundblaster line, but I'm sure there are many other good
ones.  There are even some tiny USB sound dongles, but they really vary in
quality.  Still, if you get one that works, they are small and easy to connect.

The reason you want a second soundcard is so that you can keep all your cables
connected up permanently and can switch to digital modes without any hassel.
You won't have to unplug the PC's mike and speakers and connect up the cables
to your interface.  All your PC sound level settings will stay the same and
won't need to be adjusted when you fire up the digital mode.

The Signalink USB interface has a feature that some really like -- it has a
built-in VOX circuit that will key PTT on your radio when it hears the PC
generate output tone data.  This means you don't need an extra cable from the
PC to the interface to carry PTT info.  Hooking up a Signalink USB the first
time is really easy.

I personally prefer having the PC key the transmitter explicitly.  This is
personal preference only, and many prefer the VOX approach.  Anyway, I have an
external USB sound device connected to a Buxcomm Rascal interface.  So I need a
cable from the interface to the PC (the current Rascal will suport either a
serial or a USB cable) for PTT.  I don't mind this extra cable, and I like
explicit control of PTT.  But that's just me.

Good luck!

    Jim