Nuno,

"Yes, I do. It's a default setting."  Never hurts to check--just
because it's default, doesn't mean you haven't unset it :-)

I just ran a very simple test, using a project that I use for testing
Django apps--which I had never used flatpages in.  I added the
FlatpageMiddleware, added flatpages to INSTALLED_APPS, synced the
database, then created a page with a URL of just /, and created a
default template.  It worked fine--I can go to localhost:8000/ and get
correct page--and I can also go to localhost:8000 and get redirected
to the first URL.

Perhaps you have something in your urls.py that's overriding what
flatpages should be handling?

-Jeff