> It isn't a bug. Read the docs. Create yourself an empty 404.html and
> 500.html file in your templates directory and your flatpage will work
> with DEBUG=False.

You are so right!! :) It worked like a charm!

I neglected this box:

"Ensure that your 404 template works
Note that the FlatpageFallbackMiddleware only steps in once another
view has successfully produced a 404 response. If another view or
middleware class attempts to produce a 404 but ends up raising an
exception instead (such as a TemplateDoesNotExist exception if your
site does not have an appropriate template to use for HTTP 404
Error”) and the FlatpageFallbackMiddleware will not attempt to serve a
flat page."

I'm a bit ashamed by blaming such an excellent web framework. I've
tried RoR (Ruby) and Symfony (PHP), but I think I'll look no further.

Many many thanks, Brian!