It appears that Murray S. Kucherawy  <superu...@gmail.com> said:
>It's alarming to hear that NXDOMAIN replies are never issued or (perhaps
>more likely) are dropped by some software or firewalls.  It completely
>prevents any benefits of negative caching.  I wonder what the DNS community
>might have to say about this practice.

I'm fairly sure they would say that behavior is extremely broken. It
is so broken that I doubt it's actuallly happening other than in
obscure corner cases involving ancient hardware with a thick layer of
dust.

I mean, if you don't get NXDOMAIN, every time you mistype a domain in
a URL or an email address, your browser or mail server will just sit
there indefinitely.  Seems unlikely.

R's,
John