On 4 Apr 2024, at 13:31, John R. Levine wrote:

>> I don’t think it’s scope creep at all. The WG charter puts “Review and
>> refinement of the DMARC specification” in phase III, after “Specification of
>> DMARC improvements to support indirect mail flows”. It seems clear to me
>> that standards-track DMARC needs to incorporate those improvements.
>>
>> IESG accepted ARC as an improvement to support indirect mail flows, and I
>> think a complete solution needs to incorporate that. I wish there were
>> better data to support advancing ARC to standards track, and not just from
>> Google (it has to work for smaller players as well).
>>
>> But I am troubled by the possibility that ARC might require domain
>> reputation to avoid ARC header fields supporting From address spoofing. One
>> reason it might work for Google is because they’re big enough to derive
>> their own domain reputation. We’ve not had success with domain reputation at
>> internet scale.
>
> No might about it -- ARC is only useful with domain reputation. Of course,
> DKIM is only useful with domain reputation, as were Domainkeys and IIM, so I
> don't see why it's a problem now.

Much of the objective of DomainKeys/IIM/DKIM was to provide a reliable domain
identifier that could be used by a reputation system. They avoided saying that
they were doing anything about spam and phishing. OTOH, DMARC is explicitly
saying that it’s there to do something about phishing.

> We've been going around and around for years now.  DMARC works pretty well
> for direct mail flows, so-so for simple indirect flows (forwarders) and
> really badly for mediated indirect flows (mailing lists.)  There is nothing
> better than ARC to mitigate those problems and this WG certainly isn't going
> to invent anything now.  I agree that at this point we don't have enough
> evidence to advance ARC, so we can punt the question of what or when to do
> with it to MAILMAINT or something.
>
> Our choices are to say here's what DMARC does, it has these problems, here's
> how to use it for the situations where it works, here's how to sort of
> mitigate the ones where it doesn't.  Or we can stamp our feet and say DMARC
> is BAD and we will not endorse it and NOBODY should use it, and the rest of
> the mail world will say isn't that cute, the IETF is having a tantrum.

Or we can say that it’s not ready for standards track yet. The only time I can
think of in this space that we have stamped our feet and said something is BAD
was with ADSP. But I am troubled by the mandatory requirements imposed by
organizations citing an informational RFC, RFC 7489. It makes it seem like
standards track doesn’t mean as much as it should.

-Jim