On 30 Mar 2021 at 0:56, Jukka Järvinen via EV wrote:

>  The transaction and authorization volume is not there.

I think that it needs to be as easy to charge an EV as it is to fuel an
ICEV.

I can't imagine that any ICEV driver would want a wallet with a credit card
for Shell, another for BP, another for Marathon, another for Speedway,
another for Sheetz ... but isn't that what we're asking them to do with all
these different charging networks?

I thnk that an EV driver should be able to charge his EV at ANY paid
charging point, just a an ICEV driver can fill his ICEV at any filling
station.

If the problem is that too many people charge too little, with very small
monetary sums, then the charging companies should structure the fees
differently.  They should make it more economical to charge large amounts.

I guess that would entail a fairly steep initial connection charge, and
maybe a lower per-kWh or per-minute fee.

Also, as EV batteries grow in capacity, and range grows to 500km, 600km, and
more, the need for frequent small charges will diminish. So perhaps the
problem will solve itself in a few years.

Right now in Europe, with newer EVs, I think that a typical charge on long
trips would be around 30 - 35 kWh.  I looked at a few charging points on
Chargemap and calculated that a 32kWh charge might cost between 4 and 6
euros.

Is that too small for a credit card transaction?

If it is too small, what do you think is a good minimum amount?

Thanks again!

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     War will never cease until babies begin to come into the world
     with larger cerebrums and smaller adrenal glands.

                                        -- H L Mencken