On 30 Mar 2021 at 9:23, Mark Abramowitz via EV wrote:

> Filling stations make virtually nothing from sale of fuel ... Sheesh!

Corrections (preferably with evidence) are welcome but there's no need to be
outraged!  :-\

Jukka was talking about EU filling stations.  My first thought was that the
situation might be different there but a little research showed that at
least in the UK typical profit on a liter might be a few pence.  Independent
retailers especially there rely on profit from selling other items - much
like US filling stations.

The article also mentioned that this has led to a trend toward incorporating
filling stations into supermarkets' parking lots, though how this helps I
don't know.

I didn't turn up immediate data on other EU nations but I can give you
anecdotal observations from France.  There I've noticed the same trend
toward filling stations being integrated into supermarkets.  There are
however still quite a few in the towns offering the traditional vehicle
service, and sometimes car washes.

On the motorways, almost all of the stations sell snacks, and have cafes and
vending areas.  BTW, the cafes' food and drinks are quite remarkably good,
especially against the dismal rest-stop fast food joints here in the US.

I also noticed on my last trip about a year ago that some of the major
service plazas on those motorways had also added EV fast charging.  I may
have misunderstood the situation - I didn't study it closely - but the ones
I saw appeared to be operated by Total.  Total is a petroleum company ...

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     These are horrible times to be a science-fiction writer. All
     the dystopian scenarios you can dream up become real before
     you've even finished the first draft.

                                -- Anonymous