From: "EV List Lackey via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2024 18:33
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Cc: "EV List Lackey" <evp...@drmm.net>
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Fwd: NACS to CCS Adapter - Vortex Plug - 500A, 1000V —
Lectron EV

On 17 May 2024 at 13:37, (-Phil-) via EV wrote:

> EU has the 3-phase requirement on AC charging, so there is no elegant 2-pin
> AC/DC sharing like NACS brings to the table.

Three-phase power is nice.  AC charging at 22kW goes fast.

Here 3-phase power is run all over, so if you want it in your home, no
problem.  Some DIY stores even carry 3-phase main panels.

I never paid much attention to how widely available 3-phase was in the US.

Industrial parks - I assume so.  Stores and businesses - maybe?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't installed in most residential areas.  So US home
charging is, at most, what, 50A * 80% * 240v = 9.6kW?  I've forgotten a lot
of the NEC. Can you have a branch circuit larger than 50 amps for EV
charging?

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was
     because they managed to spend less money. A man who could afford
     fifty dollar boots had a pair that'd still be keeping his feet
     dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford
     cheap [ten dollar] boots would have spent a hundred dollars on
     boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

                          -- Terry Pratchett, "Men at Arms: The Play"

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/