On 8/25/05, Jacqueline McNally <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ian Lynch wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 12:36 +0800, Jacqueline McNally wrote:
> >

> >> There were too few people able to commit promised resources to the
> >> previous event.
> >

> > I thnk the only thing we really lacked was artwork etc for the booth.
>
> And I still have lots of long threads in my mail box from volunteers
> returning from DLS, saying that they didn't have "this" and didn't have
> "that" - none of which they prepared to take with them prior to the event.

How about I try to prepare.  With the time frame I had with the NEA
conference I was able to get a sponsor and some items that were usable
for the booth.  All we can do is try.

> > I supplied this for the NEA conference and that was just me and Adam
> > and I think was fairly effective.
>
> I consider two people as the bare minimum, and if the booth attracts a
> lot of traffic not enough. It is also hard work :) Also, if people wish
> to contribute to the event either by attendance or in materials they
> need to know whether they are contributing to OpenOffice.org and or
> another vendor/organisation.
>
> Adam and yourself were able to wear both the INGOTs and OpenOffice.org
> hats comfortably.

I realize how much work this will take that's why I was wanting to get
an early start.   As far as contributing they would be contributing to
OpenOffice on this one.  INGOTs was a good fit for the NEA conference.
 I don't know if it is a good fit for DLS, that's up to Ian, but I
feel it is better word of mouth there.  I don't look at sponsorship
for the sake of sponsoring.  I look at it from a cross marketing
situation.  So I would approach sponsors that I feel it will benefit
them to sponsor.

> >> I think that unless there really IS a core body of people to make
> >> it happen, then these few resources are probably better channelled
> >> into other activities such as OOoCon 2005.
> >

> > I think there is such a core and its quite some time off, well after
> > OOoCon 2005. Adam isn't going to OOoCon and has volunteered to
> > coordinate things so I can't see that detracting from OOoCon2005. I
> > doubt Jason is making the trip to Europe either. Ryan? That gives a
> > definite lead group that won't detract from the main conference.
>
> I don't think simply turning up is effective. When an organisation takes
> a booth at a conference, it is not that one event that is marketing.
> There is the lead up press releases and direct marketing to their
> clients to invite them to the booth.

Agreed, and that's something we have to work on.

> > Personally I'll contribute, I'm not 100% sure I can attend though but
> >  I'll make the effort because we need events like this outside
> > Europe.
>
> We do attend events outside Europe, but perhaps just not "like this".
> Michael Robertson has said previously that they didn't wish to sponsor
> OOoCon2004 as it was not an area they wished to tackle at that time.

Then why did they sponsor us at DLS 2005?  Really because they are a
US company as opposed to a global company.  They market still locally
and it costs them very little to sponsor us for their conference.  I
still got a bite for the NEA conference from them.  I think they are
interested in sponsoring, but they want the best bang for their buck.
The DLS gives them that.

> [snipped the reasons why we attend conferences]
>
> > I don't think we can just rely on one conference a year in one place.
> >
> We don't, but I would add that if we don't give some special preference
> to OOoCon, then many of the reasons you listed as to "why attend" are
> rather moot.

I agree that OOoCon gets special preference, but not all companies can
afford to fly someone out to Europe and that's the ONLY place OOoCon
is at.  I feel the US market is important to OpenOffice, maybe that's
because I live here, but we need a stronger presence  here and the DLS
is a way to do it.

> > So maybe we should plan a specific set of events that we target to
> > attend to provide a geographical spread and also a spread of time of
> > attendance.
>
> This happens to a certain extent, but new volunteers will not know this
> as they are only documented throughout this mail archive now. This is
> what the Events page is about. Note to self: Get this up ASAP.
>
> > We plan early and raise money if necessary to make sure they happen.
>
> I initiated the 100 Club for OOoRegiCon
> (http://marketing.openoffice.org/conference/regicon/100club.html). It
> was not well supported, and one of the reasons was that people
> (particularly organisations) felt that they were sponsoring individuals
> rather than OpenOffice.org. I thought I was quite clear that it was to
> assist volunteers to get to OOoRegiCon, but they said the messaging was
> confused. Also, PayPal was an obstacle to some firms.

Something to work on for this year.

> Anyway, I still feel it comes back to a core team for each event to do
> this. If enough people do not get visual in the physical (i.e. away from
> their keyboards) to do this and it boils down to a couple of people then
> I find it difficult to justify attempting to engage 100s of silent
> members and subscribers with the activity.
>
> I'll get an Events page up, but discussion about specific events needs
> to be on [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This has been cross posted to there.