Jacqueline McNally wrote:

And I still have lots of long threads in my mail box from volunteers
returning from DLS, saying that they didn't have "this" and didn't have
"that" - none of which they prepared to take with them prior to the event.

I would have been happy to bring a banner, had I known that none was provided. There was a Kinko's just a few minutes from where I lived. Ian has some nice OOo banners already. He could have brought those.

As it was, all of the materials we had there except for the CDs (books, displays, a couple of Otto pictures) were provided by Jean and Ian.

But in any event, getting past who should have done what... okay, so DLS went well, but some things were missing. Do you feel that not going to DLS aggain is the best solution?

I don't think we can just rely on one conference a year in one place.

We don't, but I would add that if we don't give some special preference
to OOoCon, then many of the reasons you listed as to "why attend" are
rather moot.

You don't think OOoCon gets special preference?

Judging from your email over-all, it seems that you are concerned that devoting resources to OOoRegiCon will limit those for OOoCon. That probably includes your time. So let's address that concern.

It is perfectly valid for you to say "I'm busy with OOoCon. If you want a RegiCon in NA, then local people will have to do it themselves". Everyone would understand that. No one expects you to be involved in everything. Also, my impression is that the whole purpose of having MarCons is to delegate work to them. And the local MarCon (Ryan) has already expressed interest, and there's already another local volunteer (Adam) who has expressed interest. So just tell them "you handle it, I'm busy with OOoCon".

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
     /\/`) Leave your mark at OpenOffice.org