high all!

i've got a problem on mandrake 9.1 with my nforce onboard soundcard.

/dev/dsp seems to be alway in use, even when theres no other program running
that has anything to do with sound.

this means, Xine doesn't play sound because of that.
mplayer brings a error at the start of a movie, but then plays with sound, but
i can't control the volume on mplayer.
most games bring an error on /dev/dsp and some of them can play sound with
"artsdsp -m quake3" if i'm lucky.
and sound in flash movies doesn't work.. i suspect its also because of that.

as /dev/dsp seems to be the default sound device (which in my case has got
some problem), maybe i need to change this somewhere and set another sound
device for default ?
i'm very confused.. can somebody clear it for me please ?

tnx a lot!
lukas