On Monday 17 Nov 2003 1:09 pm, Ronald J. Hall wrote:
> On Sunday 16 November 2003 05:34 pm, elPunishar wrote:
> > high all!
> >
> > i've got a problem on mandrake 9.1 with my nforce onboard
> > soundcard.
> >
> > /dev/dsp seems to be alway in use, even when theres no other
> > program running that has anything to do with sound.
>
> First off, do (as root) a:
>
> lsof /dev/dsp
>
> and it will show you what (if anything) has it tied up. If
> something has it, you can kill it using the given pid number. If
> nothing is hoarding it, then you might want to go into the KDE
> control center and reduce the amount of time that artsd (the usual
> suspect!) is using.
>
> HTHs!

Under 9.1 I've had a few niggles with sound.  The first improvement
was when I followed the advice to find sound in kde's control center,
and shorten the release time to 1.  That was a big improvement.

For some apps you may need to run kickarts, which temporarily switches
off artsd.  It installs a tray icon so you can switch arts in and out
at will.  HTH

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302