On Wednesday 19 November 2003 11:50 am, Praedor Atrebates wrote:

> Your sound system is virtually identical to mine.  I have also installed
> aumix and maxed out all the sliders.
>
> All I can say is that when I use 2.4.21 kernels, sound works flawlessly.
> If I use anything in the 2.4.22 list, no sound.  Sound works in windoze.
> Sound works for SuSE 9.0, mandrake 9.1, and 9.0.  Nothing changes when
> installing 9.2 at all except that sound magically quits working.
>
> praedor

But you also said that you were having issues with APIC.  Since APIC handles
IRQ interrupts for a lot of devices when it is enabled, it is possible that
this is causing an interrupt conflict that is preventing sound from working.

In 9.1, I initially turned APIC off in the BIOS when I did my install and had
numerous problems with MB ethernet, USB ports, and mb sound because of
inherent problems with installing Linux with conflicting interrupts.  I
thought that the install had gone well because of a lack of visible errors
but then nothing ever worked right.  Only be enabling APIC in the BIOS and
using the noapic flag in lilo was I able to get an install going that
actually worked with all of my devices.

You may want to try enabling APIC in BIOS, reinstalling Linux using the noapic
on the lilo load line for the install disk and then seeing if your results
are better.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer