Thanks. I think this has only to do with the rules to handle keeps and
breaks and how to resolve conflicts. I don't think, however, that these
parts create a restriction which tells us what page-breaking strategy to
pursue. We could probably run with a first-fit strategy and still
fulfill the rules below if we accept a lot of backtracking. But as Simon
suggested, this seems to be a poor approach.

Keeps and breaks are only part of what a page breaking algorithm has to
deal with. See [3].

[3] http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/PageLayout/InfluencingFeatures

Jeremias Maerki