Yes, I'm not in Simon's league here--I know very
little about TeX--so I'll defer to you two on this
issue.  Just try to make sure that the final algorithm
will help us support the keep-* properties.

Thanks,
Glen

http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/PageLayout/InfluencingFeatures

http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xsl-20011015/slice4.html#keepbreak