Paul Tremblay wrote:
On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 03:54:39PM +1000, Peter B. West wrote:

<quote>
These fonts are available in Macintosh and PFB (binary Type 1) outline formats. Users requiring the fonts in PFA (ASCII Type 1) form should convert them with the aid of one of the following tools, available from the Comprehensive TeX Archive Network (CTAN):

Oh yes, right you are! I just downloaded the fonts, and I am finding a
font.afm file, a font.pfm file, and a font.pfb file. Everything should
be there to create a font-metrics file and to embed the font.

But when I type:

java  org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.PFMReader a010013l.pfm out.xml

I get this error message:

[INFO] PFM Reader v1.1a
[INFO] [INFO] Reading a010013l.pfm...
[INFO] [INFO] 31015 kerning pairs
[ERROR] Error while building XML font metrics file
java.io.EOFException
at java.io.DataInputStream.readShort(DataInputStream.java:323)
at org.apache.fop.fonts.type1.PFMInputStream.readShort(PFMInputStream.java:97)
at org.apache.fop.fonts.type1.PFMFile.loadKernPairs(PFMFile.java:203)
at org.apache.fop.fonts.type1.PFMFile.loadExtension(PFMFile.java:167)
at org.apache.fop.fonts.type1.PFMFile.load(PFMFile.java:114)
at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.PFMReader.loadPFM(PFMReader.java:211)
at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.PFMReader.main(PFMReader.java:180)

On a linux sysem, if I do:

cat a010013l.pfm

I get a strange result. The file is outputted to the terminal, but an
premature end of file seems to be reached.

What did you download, and where did you get the pfm fonts? I have just downloaded the unix distribution, and it includes only afm and pfb fonts.

Peter