From: fpc-pascal <fpc-pascal-boun...@lists.freepascal.org> On Behalf Of
Thomas Kurz via fpc-pascal
Sent: Tuesday, February 6, 2024 7:53 AM
To: 'FPC-Pascal users discussions' <fpc-pascal@lists.freepascal.org>
Cc: Thomas Kurz <fpc.2...@t-net.ruhr>
Subject: Re: [fpc-pascal] Floating point question

Well, this is funny because I *did* compile it on DOS with Turbo Pascal 5.5,
and I got the correct result there. Cross-compiling with FPC to msdos target
gave the "wrong" (aka unexpected) result again. There were so many factors
involved which caused great confusion.

>From my point of view, an expression being an assigned to a variable of type
"double" should be evaluated with double precision, not single. This is
obviously the way integers are handled by internally using int64. A few
weeks ago, I had incosistent behavior between x64 and x86 modes and it
turned out that 32-bit code did internal castings to int64 thus resulting in
the expected value whereas 64-bit cannot cast to int128 (because there is no
int128) and thus gives an unexpected result (well, at least to me). So my
intuition would (and obviously did!) expect double precision throughout the
calculation.

Kind regards,
Thomas