On Mon, 8 Nov 2010, RW wrote:

-aRr isn't implied by -a, the rR options are ignored in the former.

I think it's fairly clear that recursing through installed
packages with consistent dependecies isn't going to find a package
that isn't in the set of all installed packages.

That sentence makes me a little dizzy. I think you mean that since -a is equivalent to listing all packages on the command line, -r or -R are redundant.

So portupgrade \* (i.e., -a) is a superset of

portupgrade -r libexample

because all the dependencies of libexample are included in the \* and so portupgrade will see they need to be updated because a port they depend on has been updated... Right?