On Mon, 14 Oct 2013, Bruce Cran wrote:

On 10/14/2013 6:16 PM, CeDeROM wrote:
Isn't there Journal to prevent and reverse such damage?

Unlike other journaling filesystems, UFS+J only protects the metadata, not the data itself - i.e. I think it ensures you won't have to run a manual fsck, but just like plain old UFS files may be truncated as the journal is replayed.

This discussion skirts the critical issue - are files that are not open for writing endangered? No description of the uses of journaling can be considered informative if it doesn't address that explicitly. As a naive user I have always assumed that once closed, a file was invulnerable to improper shutdowns, but this discussion shakes that belief.

I expect the answer may be different for SSD and spinning disks.

dan feenberg