Charles Swiger wrote:

[snip]

> Yes.  Without journalling, you'd normally perform the full timeconsuming
> fsck
> in the foreground.  With journalling, it should be able to do a journal
> replay to restore the filesystem to an OK state, but sometimes that
> doesn't restore consistency, in which case it usually fires off a
> background fsck rather than the foreground fsck.

In my case the journal replay failed, with an error to that effect. All
partitions other than / failed to mount and after hitting enter at the
.../bin/sh prompt performed manual fsck on all of them, which found and
fixed some stuff. Then shutdown -r and everything came up fine (clean)
afterwards. Net result was no data loss for me.

[snip]

-Mike