Hi,

On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 9:49 PM Ralf Quint <freedos...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/6/2023 5:40 PM, Rugxulo wrote:
> > Would you prefer an article on Pascal? I know you (also) are a fan of
> > it. An article from your experience there might be useful.
> No, kind of programming language agnostic, with examples in BASIC, Turbo
> Pascal, C and assembler. As mentioned, it will be about programming in
> DOS for DOS.

Just a caveat: I think they want only "open source" tools. And,
although they list OSI approved licenses, I would be surprised if they
were sympathetic to OpenWatcom (Sybase v1).

Jim says "Microsoft MASM is out", but while JWasm (MASM v6 clone) is
OSI approved (and derived from OW's WASM), I don't think they care.

NASM has various DOS builds, e.g. 0.98.39 (2005, LGPL) for 8086 host
or 2.16.01 (2022, BSD) for 386 DJGPP (DPMI). Even TinyAsm (2020, BSD)
can be built for 8086 with either DeSmet C (your favorite, Ralf) or
IA16-GCC. (Maybe Oscar Toledo himself should write an article. He
already wrote some books.)

In other words, you probably can't talk about "Turbo Pascal" proper,
only the dialect as used in either GPC or FPC or p2c. They don't want
you promoting or pointing people to proprietary software.

> > I built and tested P5 Pascal (ISO 7185) with GPC (and GNU Make) for
> > DOS, Windows, and Linux.
>
> ISO 7185 is the worst thing that could happen to Pascal. Utterly useless
> and outdated by the time it was released.

It had some flaws (and workarounds), but I still like it a lot. I've
built P5 for us (via GPC) and emailed Scott Franco many times. I could
definitely write an article about that (and Modula-2, Oberon successor
languages). I have at least four interesting (well, to me) example
programs.

> Same as the standards for "minimal" and "extended" BASIC. There is not
> one mainstream BASIC implementation that is really sticking to either one..

At one time you were writing your own GW-BASIC clone, right? In recent
years I have written a few QBASIC scripts (that work in actual QB and
FreeBASIC's "$lang qb"). So I'm vaguely more familiar with that
(structured, not line numbered). I found BWBASIC too buggy. I never
played too much with other BASICs. P2c had its own Chipmunk BASIC.
(Heck, even Scott wrote a BASIC in Pascal.)

I don't think they are sympathetic to the history of QB, PDS, VBDOS.
(Steve Nikolas is the resident BASIC expert around here.)