On Mon, 4 Mar 2024 at 12:25, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Mar 2024 at 10:44, Christophe Lyon via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > On Mon, 4 Mar 2024 at 10:36, Thomas Schwinge <tschwi...@baylibre.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi!

> > > Let me allocate some time this week to get that one completed.

> > Thanks for the background. I didn't follow that discussion at that time :-)
> >
> > So... I was confused because I noticed many warnings when doing a simple
> > find . -name configure |while read f; do echo $f;d=$(dirname $f) &&
> > autoreconf -f $d && echo $d; done
> > as suggested by https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Regenerating_GCC_Configuration
> >
> > Then I tried with autoregen.py, and saw the same.... and now just
> > checked Sourceware's bot logs and saw the same numerous warnings at
> > least in GCC (didn't check binutils yet). Looks like this is
> > "expected" ....
> >
> > I started looking at auto-regenerating these files in our CI a couple
> > of weeks ago, after we received several "complaints" from contributors
> > saying that our precommit CI was useless / bothering since it didn't
> > regenerate files, leading to false alarms.
> > But now I'm wondering how such contributors regenerate the files
> > impacted by their patches before committing, they probably just
> > regenerate things in their subdir of interest, not noticing the whole
> > picture :-(
> >
> > As a first step, we can probably use autoregen.py too, and declare
> > maintainer-mode broken. However, I do notice that besides the rules
> > about regenerating configure/Makefile.in/..., maintainer-mode is also
> > used to update some files.
> > In gcc:
> > fixincludes: fixincl.x
> > libffi: doc/version.texi
> > libgfortran: some stuff :-)
> > libiberty: functions.texi
>
> My recently proposed patch adds the first of those to gcc_update, the
> other should be done too.
> https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-patches/2024-March/647027.html

This script touches files such that they appear more recent than their
dependencies,
so IIUC even if one uses --enable-maintainer-mode, it will have no effect.
For auto* files, this is "fine" as we can run autoreconf or
autoregen.py before starting configure+build, but what about other
files?
For instance, if we have to test a patch which implies changes to
fixincludes/fixincl.x, how should we proceed?
1- git checkout (with possibly "wrong" timestamps)
2- apply patch-to-test
3- contrib/gcc_update -t
4- configure --enable-maintainer-mode

I guess --enable-maintainer-mode would be largely (if not completely)
disabled by step 3 above?
And we should probably swap steps 2 and 3, so that the effects of
patch-to-test are handled by make?

Thanks,

Christophe