On 3/4/24 09:38, Richard Earnshaw (lists) wrote:
Tools like git (and svn before it) don't try to maintain time-stamps on
patches, the tool just modifies the file and the timestamp comes from the time
of the modification.  That's fine if there is nothing regenerated within the
repository (it's pure original source), but will cause problems if there are
generated files as their time stamps aren't necessarily correct.  `gcc_update
--touch` addresses that by ensuring all the generated files are retouched when
needed.

Why do we save generated files in the source tree?
What will be the problem if we remove Makefile.in and configure from source tree and will run `autoreconf -i -f` before building ?