There are a lot of challenges in being able to develop a consistent process
of managing user behaviour.  Here are just a few that I've noticed over the
years:

   - User acting entirely within editing policy, although usually at the
   "bolder" end of the spectrum, being accused of behaving extremely
   inappropriately, often with the words "civility" and/or "courtesy" thrown
   in.
   - Users relying on one editing policy to edit content in a way that could
   reasonably be predicted to arouse dissent, and then accusing other editors
   of "failing to follow policy" because they point to a different policy.
   - Two or more users starting off with minor barbs (usually starting with
   allegations of policy/guideline violations and becoming increasingly
   personal), continued escalation over the course of several posts, then only
   one/a few of the involved users getting warned/blocked for "incivility".
   This one is particularly insidious, as it has the reasonably predictable
   effect of creating significant resentment on the part of those blocked (the
   now-sullied block log tends to be used as a club) whilst also appearing to
   support the behaviour of the non-blocked participants.  Both groups tend to
   feel the action justifies them continuing to follow the same behavioural
   pattern.
   - Long observation of wiki-history indicates that systemic problems are
   rarely acknowledged, let alone acted upon, by the community unless one or a
   small group of editors exceeds usual behavioural norms to focus attention on
   the issue. To put it bluntly, it takes a lot of noise to get the community's
   attention on systemic issues long enough to address them, even partially.
    This method has variable success, ranging from serious community
   discussions and policy/practice changes through blocking or otherwise
   sanctioning the users who raise the issues.  If not done well, the attempt
   at problem resolution devolves into discussions about the appropriateness of
   the initiator's behaviour rather than the underlying problem.  Initiators
   are regularly referred to as "uncivil".
   - The use of the term "collegial" to describe the editing milieu. Anyone
   who has spent much time in the academe will recognize a lot of the "problem"
   behaviours we see on our own project, particularly personalization of
   disputes, which is one of the major elements leading to the perception of
   incivility.  Indeed, some of our most significant problem areas involve
   editors with academic credentials behaving pretty much within the norms for
   their profession, i.e., pretty unpleasantly toward those who don't agree
   with their educated opinions.

In other words, as a community we create a climate where poor behaviour is
the most effective means to motivate needed changes, where our policies and
practices can be used as weapons both to support negative behaviour and also
to "punish" positive behaviour, where the boundaries of unacceptable
behaviour vary widely dependent on a large number of factors and enforcement
is extraordinarily inconsistent, and where we openly claim to follow a
behavioural model that *sounds* progressive but is in reality possibly even
more nasty than our own.

On reading far, far back into archives, it appears that "incivility" has
been a problem almost since the inception of the project.  In the early days
of the project, blocks and bans were almost non-existent, and huge amounts
of time were invested in trying to "correct" behaviour (considerably more
per capita than today, the community cuts its losses much earlier now than
in 2002-04). In fact, blocks and  bans were very rare until the arrival of
extensive trolling and vandalism in 2005-06, which led to the appointment of
a massive number of administrators in 2006-07 in order to address these
problems.

None of this speaks to solutions, I know.  But it is important to put the
discussion into a more historical context, and to recognize the flashpoints
where incivility is often identified.

Risker/Anne