Hi Marie -

Given the fact that you're talking about men's rights activists, by Sarah,
I assume you mean Sarah Stierch?  Both Sarah and myself (we were some of
the earlier Wikipedians to really infuriate MRA's) suffered a good bit of
harassment at various points as a result of our engagement with them.
 We're definitely far from the only people to have experienced harassment
by MRA's or various other groups, and both myself, Sarah, and a large
number of other contributors have experienced at least some harassment
severe enough that I've thought for some time that the Wikimedia Foundation
should attempt to create some sort of contributor support system (as was
most recently brought up as an idea by Lane Raspberry of WP:MED.)  None of
it was at all fun for me to handle, and some of it took significant labor
to deal with - both emotional labor and labor as in actually having to
explain to targeted associates of mine the back story behind the calls and
emails they were getting - and I have significant systemic privilege that
makes the same set of situations much easier and less threatening to deal
with than many other people do. I agree that harassment of contributors, by
fringe elements of the men's rights movement as well as other fringe groups
is a serious problem and that both the Wikimedia movement and the Wikimedia
Foundation need to come up with a better way of triaging and minimizing the
harm that it causes our contributors.

That said, I do want to be clear in saying that Sarah, to the best of my
knowledge, has never been suspended from a position of any sort for making
off-wiki comments.  She was a moderator of this list for quite some time,
but eventually stepped down because this can at times be a very very very
very draining list to moderate - if she ever wanted to become a mod again
here, I'd give her a mod bit back in a heart beat, but I really doubt she
will ever want to again. She's still an active contributor (and
administrator) on the English Wikipedia, and still hosts talks and
editathons about our movement's demographic gaps pretty regularly.  She
does no longer work for the WMF, but the fact that she no longer works
there isn't a result of her political views or offsite comments, and a
great number of current WMF staffers still have tremendous respect for her.

I was near the pre-scheduled end-date of an internship at the Wikimedia
Foundation right around the time that Sarah and I riled up men's rights
activists for the first time (it's been a number of years at this point)
through making the article about their movement more in compliance with
ENWP's encyclopedic content policies than it previously had been.  It was
definitely an issue that came up with me in the office that week (partly
because it had made Jezebel; partly because people were contacting the
office,) and I will say that I don't think I can fault the behavior of a
single WMF staff member regarding the situation.  They were tremendously
more accomodating than I can imagine most other workplaces being in such
circumstances - the rest of my time there included a large number of people
repeatedly making sure that I was doing okay/checking if I needed
anything/thanking me for publicly standing up for what I thought was right.

I don't want to dissect past situations in great detail, but I do think the
mod team has made significant errors in how we've chosen to moderate the
list in the past (and I accept a plurality if not an outright majority of
blame for that,) that was significantly detrimental to fostering a free,
open, and safe environment where conversations related to the purpose of
the list could occur.  We can't change the past, but hopefully we'll be
able to help guide the list in a more beneficial direction in the future.

Best,
Kevin Gorman