>I don't think it is helpful to assign gender based systemic bias every time an
>edit is questioned on women related topic.

To put it in perspective, this was the article as it existed just before the
{{notability}} tag was applied—three days after it was created, and two days
after the {{unreviewed}} tag was removed:
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=October_%28novel%29&oldid=617753940

There is a summary of the novel, a list of characters, a statement of who the
author is and where she teaches, and two references—one to what seems to be a
review in The New Statesman (OK as far as RS goes), the other to what seems to
be a website which may or may not be considered a reliable source. There’s
nothing about the award, which would probably have kept the {{notability}} tag
at bay.

>Plenty of people have similar frustration about notability tags being placed
>on their newly created articles especially on >niche topics.

Of course, that happens a lot less when you get to be patrol-exempt.

But even still, on the occasions (and there still are some) when I create an
article and for whatever reason can’t put refs in it right away, I’m looking
over my virtual shoulder until I can (Once I had to wait an hour, and was
absolutely paranoid that someone would tag it or—God forbid—nominate it for
speedy deletion in the meantime). Yes, even me.

I don’t how routinely we advise newer editors to do this, but the fact is that
when you create a new article, especially on a niche topic, you shouldn’t go
live in mainspace with it until you’ve got sourced assertion of notability in
it, and probably at least a few other sources as well. That’s what the newpage
patrollers are looking for.

Daniel Case