Arve,

On Tuesday, 2024-04-16 15:53:48 +0200, you wrote:

> Only LTS kernels get stabilised, so this information is readily available.

I'm sure I don't understand this: According to "https://www.kernel.org/";
kernel 6.6.27  is "longterm",  but according to  "eix"  the most  recent
6.6.* kernels are 6.6.22 and 6.6.23  which both are non-stable  (well, I
ran my last "sync" immediately before the profile upgrade, so this might
not be current).  I'm still using stable kernel 6.6.13 as my backup ker-
nel, but this kernel is no longer provided by Gentoo.  So, what precise-
ly does LTS or "longterm" mean?

But, to get back to the beginning of this discussion: if there is a risk
that my  aging hardware  possibly can less and less  cope with newer and
newer kernels, should I put something like

   >=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-6.7.0

into file "package.mask" to stay with "longterm" 6.6.* kernels?

Sincerely,
  Rainer