Grant,

On Tuesday, 2024-04-16 19:26:25 -0000, you wrote:

> That means that all gentoo-sources stable kernels are "longterm"
> kernel versions on kernel.org.  It does not mean that all "longterm"
> kernel versions from kernel.org are available as "stable" in
> gentoo-sources.
>
> It is a statement that "gentoo-sources stable" is a subset of
> "kernel.org longterm".

This sort of deteriorates into a debate about words rather than meanings
without explaining HOW LONG  such a series  of related kernels are main-
tained and provided.   After all, "longterm" or "LTS" suggest that these
lines of developement are less short-lived than others.   To give an ex-
ample: the oldest "longterm" kernels  listed on "kernel.org" are 4.19.*,
5.4.* and 5.10.*.  Of these only 5.10.* is still available from Gentoo.

Digging through my Gentoo installation logs,  I can see that 4.19.72 was
one of the first kernels I built myself.   This was somewhen in the mid-
dle of 2019, that is, not yet five years back.  And this kernel line has
already vanished  from Gentoo.   So what time span  are we talking about
when we say "LTS Gentoo kernel"?  Roughly four, three or two years?  And
why is the support provided by Gentoo significantly shorter than that by
"kernel.org"?

Sincerely,
  Rainer