Michael,

On Wednesday, 2024-04-17 10:10:56 +0100, you wrote:

> On Tuesday, 16 April 2024 20:26:25 BST Grant Edwards wrote:
> > On 2024-04-16, Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > But, to get back to the beginning of this discussion: if there is a
> > > risk that my aging hardware possibly can less and less cope with
> > > newer and newer kernels, should I put something like
> > >
> > >    >=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-6.7.0
> > >
> > > into file "package.mask" to stay with "longterm" 6.6.* kernels?
>
> I am not sure the assumption "... aging hardware possibly can less and less
> cope with newer and newer kernels" is correct.  As already mentioned newer
> kernels have both security and bug fixes.  As long as you stick with stable
> gentoo-sources you'll have these in your system.

But since the 6.6.* kernel is LTS,  security and bug fixes will be back-
ported into it and all is well.  And if this can't be done for some rea-
son or other,  I can still cautiously advance my entry in file "package.
mask" to the next LTS kernel.

> PS. Regarding your earlier question about different make *config commands and
> their meaning you can check the latest make help page:
>
> $ cd /usr/src/linux
> $ make help

Done.  Again learned something.  Thanks a lot :-)

Sincerely,
  Rainer