Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> Am Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 08:04:15AM -0500 schrieb Dale:
>

>> I've seen some server type mobos that have SAS connectors which gives
>> several options.  Some of them tend to have more PCIe slots which some
>> regular mobos don't anymore.  Then there is that ECC memory as well.  If
>> the memory doesn't cost to much more, I could go that route.  I'm not
>> sure how much I would benefit from it but data corruption is a thing to
>> be concerned about.
>> […]
>> The problem with those cards, some of the newer mobos don't have as many
>> PCIe slots to put those cards into anymore.  I think I currently have
>> two such cards in my current rig.  The new rig would hold almost twice
>> the number of drives.  Obviously, I'd need cards with more SATA ports.
> Indeed consumer boards tend to get fewer normal PCIe slots. Filtering for
> AM4 boards, the filter allowed me to filter up to 6 slots, whereas for AM5
> boards, the filter stopped at 4 slots.
> AM4: https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=mbam4&xf=18869_5%7E20502_UECCDIMM%7E4400_ATX
> AM5: https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=mbam5&xf=18869_4%7E20502_UECCDIMM%7E4400_ATX

On the AM5 link, I found a mobo that I kinda like.  I still wish it had
more PCIe slots tho.  Still, with m.2 to SATA converter thing or a PCIe
card with a LOT of SATA ports or a SAS card, I could handle all the hard
drives, I think.  Anyway, I found the ASUS Prime X670-P which is quite
nice.  It has connections I've never heard of.  Still, may need them for
something.  I found the ASUS website and started looking for the specs
and such.  After I got the noscript thing sorted so the page would work,
I noticed something kinda awesome.  It supports not only the Ryzen 9
series but also supports Ryzen 5 series.  I looked up the Ryzen 5 7600X
and 8600G.  I think the X has no video and the G has video support.  I
haven't researched yet to see if the mobo requires the G since it has
video ports, two to be more precise which is the minimum I need.
Anyway, those two CPUs are cheaper than the Ryzen 9 I was looking at.  I
could upgrade later on as prices drop.  I'm sure a new Ryzen is lurking
around the corner.

I have a FX-8350 8 core CPU now.  Would the Ryzen 5's mentioned above be
a good bit faster, a lot, a whole lot?  I need to upgrade either way.
Mobos tend to last around 10 years or so and I'm pushing that hard.
With the new solid capacitors, some say they last a lot longer now.
Still, I need more memory too.  32GBs just isn't much when running
Seamonkey, three Firefox profiles and torrent software.  I'm not running
out but at times, it's using a lot of it.  I was hoping for a mobo that
would handle more than 128GB but that is a lot of memory.

I found a benchmark website that compares the two.  Link below.  It
claims about 80% faster.  In some ways, twice as fast. Sometimes those
bench tests don't reflect the real world to well.  Most of them seem to
test gaming speeds which isn't of much use anyway for me.  I'm more
about compiling and such.  Just wondering how much speed difference this
would make.  Maybe someone reading this did a similar upgrade or has
seen both in action.  If so, post and share your thoughts.

This opens a new option that might be easier to accomplish.  Still wish
that mobo had more PCIe slots tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-7600X-vs-AMD-FX-8350/4130vs1489