On 13/04/2024 14:23, Dale wrote:
I see lots of mobos with those little hard drives on a stick.  I think
they called NVME or something, may have spelling wrong.  For most
people, that is likely awesome.  For me, I think I'd be happy with a
regular SSD.  Given that, I'd like them to make a mobo where one can say
cut off/disable that NVME thing and make use of that "lane" as a PCIe
slot(s).  Even if that means having a cable that hooks to the mobo and
runs elsewhere to connect PCIe cards.  In other words, have one slot
that is expandable to say three or four slots with what I think is
called a back-plane.  That way if a user wants to use the NVME thing,
they can.  If they don't, they can disable it and go another route with
PCIe expansion.  Sort of reminds me of that SAS drive thing.  You have
one cable that branches out into several SATA drives or SAS drives
themselves.  I don't know a lot about SAS really.  May have to read up
on that with that new case that holds 18 drives tho.  O_o

Read up on your mobo.

Certainly on mine, that thing where you can use NVME *OR* OCIe *OR* Sata is a thing on mine.

There's a nice table in the mobo manual that tells you which combos are supported.

Cheers,
Wol