Derek,

> On Jun 16, 2017, at 10:33 PM, Derek Atkins <warl...@mit.edu> wrote:
>
> Adrien Monteleone <adrien.montele...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> A side effect of the content being in a db rather than in git is it is no
>>> longer stored in a distributed way. So it will be important to implement a
>>> backup plan for the data.
>>
>> The site host should provide a facility for this either through
>> cPanel/Plex, or you can set a cron job via SSH. Many have options to
>> schedule backups to an offsite FTP server.
>>
>> You’d need to regularly back up both the db and the site structure.
>
> Okay, so... what's the actual benefit of migrating www.gnucash.org to a
> CMS?  Right now we can easily update the website remotely, have
> translations, images, etc.  And it doesn't require Linas to do much
> maintenance work.  The content is quazi-static, so it really doesn't
> need a lot of updates.  It's not like the application is changing it's
> look at feel every couple months!

As the one who started this, I’d say the immediate payoff with regard to the
issues you raise is limited. However, I had made some suggestions on Bugzilla
about changing the website (and possibly the wiki as well) that were beginning
to take on more substantial nature. At that point, the idea of looking more
generally at ways to facilitate change on the website/wiki seemed appropriate.

I will note that one of the problems I see with the website/wiki presence is
precisely its static nature. Pages and information seem to get on the sites and
never change or get updated. A number of the wiki pages I was just looking at
had references to “new” features for v1.8, along with links to discussions in
the mailing lists ca. 2002. There were references to resources that have long
ago disappeared off the Internet, as well as discussions about issues that are
no longer relevant to GnuCash in 2017—like discussions about code to create SQL
data from an XML data file, which while perhaps still interesting, are
nonetheless rendered rather moot with the incorporation of the SQL back end in
2.4.

As for the ongoing maintenance of a cms, I agree that it can be a pain.
However, at least with Drupal, I find the process pretty quick to manage (in
fact, I just installed an update today), and assuming that the GnuCash site
would continue to be a basic site, it would likely not require many additional
modules—thus keeping the update routines simpler. Moreover, with a bundled cms,
you have web developers who are maintaining awareness of security issues and
pushing out fixes for them. In this day of increased threat vectors online, can
we be sure that the GnuCash site is immune to these new threats?

Whether a new platform would encourage the community to maintain a vibrant web
presence or not is of course debatable. but I think it’s a fair one to have.

David