Dear Users

I'm aware there's demand for automated scripting Gnucash activity such as
entering transactions with custom formulas more complex than the SX
facility will allow, determining end-of-quarter calculations etc.

There's a pending PR at https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/pull/1794 which
will unlock it (with a scheme script... or a python script if someone
proficient can code it), and *will* allow the above, and* can* offer some
interactivity (e.g. "please enter the transaction description" -- see the
PR for such an example),* and also* potentially unlock other UI toolkits.
>From my understanding this is a facility that the original GnuCash code
from 1997 or so offered.

We are not willing to provide custom-built solutions for users (not even
with money offers); and I do not think it's a good idea to add custom
scripts into the code. Users could share the scripts among themselves at
their own maintenance risk. However, if users are needing help for such
tasks, we can consider augmenting the software with api calls which can
assist.

It would thus be useful to know the types of tasks that users wish to
automate. I'll start:

Every quarter, I personally tally up the GST account balances, which allows
me to submit to the tax office. I currently use the "Income and GST
Statement" report for tallying. I will also create some transactions which
will offset the GST accounts back to zero. This could easily be automated.