Thanks Liz... With the full power of scheme (or python) it will be
relatively straightforward to customise these calculations. There's an
example script in the GitHub pull request, and it does interact via command
line to input some transaction details, summarises the transaction and asks
confirmation before committing the change.

It does require some knowledge of programming and learning the gnucash API,
but won't require building the full gnucash code.

Other ideas are possible: determine the balance of an account at a
particular date, download transactional, business or pricing data from an
external source or any format (json,TSV), submit anything to an external
recipient, etc.

Implementing such a change effectively raises the scheme code from being a
report-only mechanism to unlocking full scripting, and also unlock python
scripting to more users.