If you haven’t recently, you may want to evaluate WSL again.

I’ve been successful using the distribution GnuCash (4.8), the flatpack GnuCash
(5.4.1), and a GnuCash build environment on the default WSL distro (ubuntu)
without any additional software or configuration required on Windows
10.0.19045.  The Linux VM’s X GUIs are displayed to the Window VM's Remote
Desktop out of the box and a Windows GnuCash Start menu shortcut even appeared
after I installed the distributed GnuCash.

Here are my installation notes:

Install WSL as Administrator:

wsl —install

Install distributed GnuCash:

sudo apt -y update
sudo apt -y upgrade
sudo apt -y install python3-gi python3-gi-cairo gir1.2-gtk-3.0
sudo apt -y install adwaita-icon-theme-full
sudo apt -y install gnucash

sudo apt -y install make gcc
sudo gnc-fq-update

Install flatpack GnuCash:

sudo apt -y install flatpak
sudo flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub
https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
sudo flatpak install --system flathub org.gnucash.GnuCash

Set up build environment:

sudo sed -i "s/^# deb-src/deb-src/" /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt -y update
sudo apt -y upgrade
sudo apt -y build-dep gnucash
sudo apt -y install git
sudo apt -y install p7zip-full
sudo apt install at-spi2-core

mkdir -p ~/Documents/gnucash/source
mkdir -p ~/Documents/gnucash/build

git clone https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash.git ~/Documents/gnucash/source

cd ~/Documents/gnucash/source
git checkout 5.4

Build instructions:

cd ~/Documents/gnucash/build
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/gnucash ~/Documents/gnucash/source
make
sudo make install

sudo /opt/gnucash/bin/gnc-fq-update