> On Nov 21, 2023, at 1:13 PM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnuc...@kobaltwit.be>
> wrote:
>
> Keeping the links as you suggested in another reply in this thread is
> definitely tricky. I have been researching this for an unrelated project.
> Browsers are (rightfully) very reluctant to let a webpage interface with the
> local filesystem in any way. The only universal method is defining a custom
> handler for the user's default webbrowser. Similar to what we do with the
> integrated WebKit instance, though now it has to be installed for the users
> default browser, so somewhere on the user's system, outside of GnuCash'
> direct control. I have never looked at whether there's a system-wide location
> to store such handler that's read and interpreted by all common browsers. I
> doubt it though.

Geert,

I have a different idea that might work for your other project too: Instead of
embedding links, embed a (java)script that connects to a network socket that
the source program (GnuCash in our case) advertises and decorate it to look
like a link. This stack overflow provides an example:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9945693/connecting-client-to-server-using-socket-io

Regards,
John Ralls