Op zondag 17 maart 2024 09:05:12 CET schreef John Ralls:
> Updated        via  https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/commit/9a39b3cd
> (commit)
>       from  https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/commit/1a806b4e (commit)
>

> commit 9a39b3cd6966f8d867efed934b6419bfd2ce5a2b
> Author: John Ralls <jra...@ceridwen.us>
> Date:   Sun Mar 17 09:00:32 2024 +0100
>
>     Remove cruft.
>
>     userdata_migration_message was moved to gnucash-core-app.spp by
>     c58cfdb 4 years ago and this no-op fragment was left behind.
>

> Summary of changes:
>  gnucash/gnucash.cpp | 13 -------------
>  1 file changed, 13 deletions(-)

`userdata_migration_msg` never changing from `nullptr` was an oversight during
the
conversion.

The code was originally written to inform users when the meta data in
{USERDATA_HOME}
and/or {USERCONFIG_HOME} got migrated to a new location. My idea was to
generalize
this at some point to be a moment during boot-up to send important messages to
the
user.

With the split between gnucash and gnucash-cli, the way to do so depends on
which
binary is run. In gnucash one would want to display a dialog box - the part
removed by this
commit. In gnucash-cli a message should be printed on the command line. I
clearly didn't
work it out fully to actually do so - the dialog would never be displayed.

As these are often one-time messages (like a migration happens only once) I
found it
important that both code paths have a good way to show this to the user. Only
writing to
the logs would easily go unnoticed, particularly as logs are only kept for one
gnucash run
on linux and MacOS.

Regards,

Geert