> On Mar 20, 2024, at 11:42, Geert Janssens <geert.gnuc...@kobaltwit.be> wrote:
>
> Op zondag 17 maart 2024 09:05:12 CET schreef John Ralls:
>> Updated       via  https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/commit/9a39b3cd
>> (commit)
>>      from  https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/commit/1a806b4e (commit)
>>

>> commit 9a39b3cd6966f8d867efed934b6419bfd2ce5a2b
>> Author: John Ralls <jra...@ceridwen.us>
>> Date:   Sun Mar 17 09:00:32 2024 +0100
>>
>>    Remove cruft.
>>
>>    userdata_migration_message was moved to gnucash-core-app.spp by
>>    c58cfdb 4 years ago and this no-op fragment was left behind.
>>

>> Summary of changes:
>> gnucash/gnucash.cpp | 13 -------------
>> 1 file changed, 13 deletions(-)

> `userdata_migration_msg` never changing from `nullptr` was an oversight
> during the
> conversion.
>
> The code was originally written to inform users when the meta data in
> {USERDATA_HOME}
> and/or {USERCONFIG_HOME} got migrated to a new location. My idea was to
> generalize
> this at some point to be a moment during boot-up to send important messages
> to the
> user.
>
> With the split between gnucash and gnucash-cli, the way to do so depends on
> which
> binary is run. In gnucash one would want to display a dialog box - the part
> removed by this
> commit. In gnucash-cli a message should be printed on the command line. I
> clearly didn't
> work it out fully to actually do so - the dialog would never be displayed.
>
> As these are often one-time messages (like a migration happens only once) I
> found it
> important that both code paths have a good way to show this to the user. Only
> writing to
> the logs would easily go unnoticed, particularly as logs are only kept for
> one gnucash run
> on linux and MacOS.

Geert,

That ship sailed a really long time ago: You originally added it in
https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/commit/a153412e5a8fca7519fadb62935bab797860fbcd
 for what became GnuCash 3.0. Meaning that the migration happens when the user
opens a 2.6 file with 3.0 or later. Nearly everybody has already done the
migration, plus we advise users who haven't to step through the major releases.
It seems pretty unlikely that anyone would ever see the dialog if we were to
put it back and wire it up. Still, IIUC it's only a revert plus one line of
code so if you really want to it won't take you long.

Regards,
John Ralls