Op woensdag 20 maart 2024 21:10:07 CET schreef john:
> Geert,
>
> That ship sailed a really long time ago: You originally added it in
> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/commit/a153412e5a8fca7519fadb62935bab797
> 860fbcd for what became GnuCash 3.0. Meaning that the migration happens when
> the user opens a 2.6 file with 3.0 or later. Nearly everybody has already
> done the migration, plus we advise users who haven't to step through the
> major releases. It seems pretty unlikely that anyone would ever see the
> dialog if we were to put it back and wire it up. Still, IIUC it's only a
> revert plus one line of code so if you really want to it won't take you
> long.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

Hi John,

Indeed *that* particular migration has been a long time ago. As I tried to
explain, my idea
was to generalize this to be able to message the user about important stuff
that might
happen at early startup. Migrating metadata was the initial example of such a
thing. At the
time I was imagining one day also it could be used to inform the user
saved-reports-xyz be
converted from the current scheme format to something else (json, xml, ...) or
any other
internal conversions we'd do on the metadata.

However I don't really feel strongly about that nor about how I initially
implemented it. I
just mentioned it to check if there was common interest to have such a feature.

And your remark also makes we wonder should we really keep the migration code
itself as
we are now firmly in the 5.x series which means we have already kept this
around for 3
major release cycles ?

Regards,

Geert