Op zondag 6 mei 2018 10:22:28 CEST schreef DaveC49:
> Dennis,
>
> The obvious place to put the build-cmake directory is in the Applications
> directory. I personally would not name it build-cmake but build-gnucash-3.1.
> The reason for that is, to uninstall Gnucash there is no need to retain the
> gnucash-3.1 source directory which can be deleted, but you will need to
> retain the build directory.
>
> Then there is nothing to identify the build-cmake directory as the build
> directory for GnuCash if you call it build-cmake and if you subsequently
> compiled another program from the Applications directory using the same
> naming convention, you could end up with several build-cmake directories not
> knowing which programs they are for, so you would have difficulty
> uninstalling them, if you wanted to later. The name is more than likely a
> hangover from when the developers were initially testing cmake against the
> autotools configure script. They would probably have used a build-cmake and
> a build-autotools or something similar to distinguish the parallel builds.
>
> To start the whole process you would after extracting the tarball to
> /home/dennis/Applications
> Open a shell then
>
> cd /home/dennis/Applications
> mkdir build-gnucash-3.1
> cd build-gnucash-3.1
> "cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/dennis/.local
> /home/dennis/Applications/gnucash-3.1"
> make
> make install
>
> Don't type the quotes in the above. They are to indicate that everything
> between the quotes goes on one line and there is a single space between
> -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/dennis/.local  and
> /home/dennis/Applications/gnucash-3.1.  Part of the confusion may be that if
> your screen resoluition is not the same as mine the wiki may be wrapping
> lines. I have three different size screens so i will check that out and try
> to find a way to ensure the cammands do appear on the one line.
>
> That should install GnuCash 3.1 in your local directory. To run it you could
> type in a terminal:
>
>  /home/dennis/.local/bin gnucash %f
>
> I am not exactly sure but I think the %f causes gnucash to open with the
> last file it had open. It appears in the installed menu item for gnucash.

No, you don't need to type the %f. Gnucash will open the last file when you
don't pass any pathname to the command.

The %f is typically used in *.desktop files to pass on a filename from the
desktop file's commandline on to gnucash itself.

When yo invoke gnucash directly this is not necessary and maybe even unwanted.

Regards,

Geert