My experience has been that each time there is a new (stable, not
developer) release of gnucash the flatpak version is also updated with the
then current version of finance-quote. If finance-quote is updated, this
does not usually trigger a new release of gnucash and the flatpak. So there
is a trade-off with using the flatpak version: the convenience of not
having to maintain a build environment and building the new version against
some delays in getting updates of finance-quote.
This is frustrating at times but it is good to remember that this software
exists only through the work of volunteers.  I have been using gnucash for
many years and I am grateful that it is still being maintained and improved.
Dale