That's a lot of crontab weirdness for a cosmetic bug of bad code or bad
install, on top of the flatpak weirdness.  Maybe either there should be some
command line option to direct Finance::Quotes to the right or unusual
mechanisms, or Finance::Quotes should just check and move on silently, saving
the status for part of a message if all run configurations are discovered not
viable at the end?

The snap installed apps seem more normal, but then I do not run them from cron
or the command line.  It'd be nicest if the latest GnuCash updates could be
distributed through normal Ubuntu/Linux Software channels.  I guess they are
not "Long Term Stable"?  Life on the bleeding edge!  At least once a week, I am
running "flatpak update -y", "snap refresh", "Software Updater" (obsolescent
but seems to install stuff that "Software" "Updates" tab wants to install with
a reboot), and finally "Software" "Updates" tab.

The time of the quote fetch might be a busy time, but I want it after I go to
bed and before I start clamscan, which is very cpu and file intense.  Of
course, it has to be after the markets close at 4 Eastern, but the Mutual Fund
admins sometimes take a while to post their NAVs.  I have to wait a day to get
Fidelity captive security quotes from their website for some of my 401Ks.  I am
not sure my quote updates get the NAV or the last or what, but it is just an
approximation for Net Worth reports of unrealized gain.

    On Friday, April 5, 2024 at 01:09:35 PM EDT, Bruce Schuck
<bsch...@asgard-systems.com> wrote:

 On 4/5/24 8:50 AM, David G. Pickett wrote:

> The quotes were fetched despite these usual errors, so it is only a
> cosmetic error.

>  > 2024-04-03 23:45:06 Removed any lck, adding price quotes
>  > flatpak run --command=gnucash-cli org.gnucash.GnuCash --quotes get --
>  > /home/dgp/GnuCash/ubuntu-DGPickett.gnucash
>  > F: X11 socket /tmp/.X11-unix/X0 does not exist in filesystem,
trying to
>  > use abstract socket instead.
>
>  > ** (process:102885): WARNING **: 23:45:07.118: Failed to connect
to bus:
>  > Could not connect: Connection refused
>  > Found Finance::Quote version 1.59.
>
> This error is from Flatpak. Could be related to this thread:
>
> https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak/issues/938
> <https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak/issues/938>

Possibly. I noticed this in the GnuCash technical reference
(https://gnucash.org/docs/v5/C/gnucash-manual.pdf):

=====
On Linux if there is no graphic session that has already started the
dbus, running on your
computer at the time of the quote request, you must do the entry as
follows instead:

0 16 * * 5 env `dbus-launch` sh -c 'trap "kill $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID" EXIT;
gnucash-cli --quotes get ${HOME}/gnucash-filename > /dev/null 2>&1=====

For *its and giggles, change the time of your cron job to an hour or so
before or after 23:45.

Still, I have not been able to duplicate the issue on an Ubuntu 22.04
virtual machine (VirtualBox) and the current stable Flatpak GnuCash 5.6
(Build ID: Flathub 5.6-1). I'm running the update every hour.

Bruce S.