Phyllis,

I have many questions about this issue.

1. Are you importing the transactions with all their splits defined, and splits
within those imported transactions are not actually getting in to the GnuCash
data file?

2. Are you importing a record from another account (for instance, your checking
account, which receives a portion of your income) and it fails to register the
other splits?

3. Are you using the auto complete feature to create these transactions, and
the resulting transactions aren't getting your updated numbers?

4. Are you using some other mechanism to get this data into your file?

For number 1, I'd be surprised that the importer would somehow lose some of the
entries upon import--if you had a properly-defined transaction for import.
However, I'd also be surprised to find a payroll provider that would present me
with an importable income transaction. Correct me if I've misunderstood this.

For number 2, if you're importing transactions from, say, your checking account
provider, I wouldn't expect their records to include all the entries for the
various deductions on a paycheck. Their records show one entry for the final
amount that came in to them. You have to provide the other values yourself.

For number 3, auto complete uses the latest version of a transaction as its
template. If you have newer transactions in the register already (as hinted at
by your comments), GnuCash is going to use the last one. So, if you change one
of the earlier transactions to reflect your new values, GnuCash will continue
to use the values in the latest transaction. Once you've updated the most
recent copy, auto complete should take those values going forward.

I've encountered this last one many times because I will use auto complete to
enter paystubs quickly, and adjust the final deposit only. Months later, I'll
changed 3 or 4 different line amounts. That's an annoying circumstance. The
options to fix this are:
* correct the 3 or 4 entries on every paystub, or
* delete all the erroneous transactions, re-enter the first one correctly, and
then auto complete the rest correctly.

I do the first if I've reconciled portions of the past transactions and the
second if I haven't.

If your answer is #4, please provide more info.

⁣David T. ​