On 2024-04-09 05:25, Kalpesh Patel wrote:
> In the states, isn't that what is called "floats"?

Yes and no. The American Heritage Dictionary defines "float" as
"a. A sum of money representing checks that are outstanding.
b. The time between the issuing or depositing of a check and the
[crediting or] debiting of the issuer's account.
c. The time during which a credit card purchase can be repaid without
interest."

Float still exists, but banks are always adopting technology to shorten
the time. For instance, paper checks usually do not travel back to your
bank any more. These days, a check you write to any business but the
very smallest will most likely be transmitted as an image, not paper,
and will be reflected in your account within a day or two.

Writing a check when you don't have the money in your account to cover
it can subject you to both civil and criminal penalties for fraud. The
AHD defines "check kiting" as "The act of writing a check on a bank
account in an amount in excess of actual funds on deposit in the account
and then depositing that check in a second account at a different bank
to create a spurious deposit there, allowing checks to be drawn, or
credit secured, based on the second account, until the fraud is
discovered."

Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA
https://BrownMath.com