On 2024-04-23 14:31, Yann Salmon via gnucash-user wrote:
Since there is, if I understand correctly, a fix to this major bug, I really think a 5.6.1 release would be helpful.…
On 2024-04-24 15:24, Yann Salmon via gnucash-user wrote:
…the one thing I learned is : you do not break things, and if you do, you unbreak them as quickly as possible.…

…I would be interested to know the bigger picture that I am obviously missing in the decision not to publish a .1 that fixes a regression (especially on a stable release) and allows Otto Normaluser and his Grandma to quickly get back on their feet by simpling doing what they know and have been educated to do : upgrading their software.

Oh, I think I can help you see the bigger picture.

Please run a report on your financial records in GnuCash. Look for all the payments you made to the GnuCash developers, in order to have the use of GnuCash software.  If your records are like mine, the total amount will be:

0.00 EUR (approximately 0.00 CAD, 0.00 USD, 0.00 CNY, at current exchange rates)

I suspect that the GnuCash team has spent at least double that amount, and applied it to making a 5.6.1 release. It was sufficient for them to reach 0% of the way to completion. (I am being sarcastic. I don't know the internals of the GnuCash project.)

Putting aside sarcasm, please remember that the GnuCash developers are volunteers. They are donating their time and expertise to develop GnuCash. There are not many of them. Yet they deliver regular releases, complete with bug fixes, and ever-increasing capabilities.  The appropriate tone to take with them is one of gratitude.

At the same time, the GnuCash developers have granted you a license to GnuCash's source code. You are permitted to see the source code, to diagnose the problem yourself, and to come up with a fix. If you wish, you can donate the fix back to the GnuCash developers. Or, you could make your own 5.6.1 release with the fix (but this is "forking", and you should give the new software a different name).  If you own skills do not extend to diagnosing and fixing the problem, you are free to hire a skilled software engineer, and have them diagnose, fix, and release a version of the software for you. If you want to pay the software engineer for an extended time, so that they can build up a relationship with the GnuCash developers, they might be able to take on the task of making bug-fix releases. It could be your contribution to GnuCash. Please, go right ahead!

However, you may discover that this costs you more in time and money than the 0.00 EUR which you have paid for GnuCash so far.

Best regards,
     —Jim DeLaHunt