Hmm.. it has been many moons since I made the move from 3.x to 4.x, so I don't see an obvious preference either. But perhaps toggle the:

  Preferences > Register > Actions > Auto-raise lists

checkbox and see if that helps.

If not, note as I mentioned, you should still be able to type through the tree as before to narrow down your account list to choose from.

So starting with for example:

"Expenses:"

Would bring up a (albeit now truncated) list of Expense accounts can get you started. Then start typing the next branch of the tree, followed by your separator. (default being ":") Proceed as before from there.

You may (or may not) need to uncheck:

Preferences > Register Defaults > Other Defaults > Only display leaf account names

----
Are you trying to access the *same* book with too different GnuCash versions?

While this is possible within a small release window, it probably isn't a 'best practice' if it can be avoided.

When advancing the major release number, some lack of backwards compatibility occurs. (not sure that is worded correctly) Usually, in conjunction with the next major release, the last minor release is issued such that both can read the same file.

Thus, at a bare minimum, it is recommended to upgrade to the last minor release of a major version before moving to the next major version. Since the last release of 3.x was 3.11, that would mean if your other computer is on 4.8, you need the one on 3.8 to at least be on 3.11 so it can properly read the 4.8 file. (the 4.8 version should be able to read a 3.8 file with little issue, but it appears in your case, you are going back and forth, not one way from 3.x to 4.x)

Is there some reason you can't get them both sync'd up to 4.8? (or 4.14 which is the last of that series)

Is there some reason you can't advance them both to the current release? (5.6)