I think that I am in a somewhat similar position to Mike.  My Linux
machines happen to be virtual machines that are, for me, test cases for
older hardware with modest resources.  When I looked into flatpak it
appeared that it would use a lot more resources yet would be tricky to set
up some functions that involve interfaces for example to external hardware
such that I just wasn't ready to make the intellectual investment in
learning to use flatpak.  Someone would still have to sell me on using
flatpak.