On September 27, 2006 at 17:44, Olly Betts wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 03:16:06PM -0700, Jeff Marshall wrote:
> > In major search engines like Google and Yahoo, this relevance ordering
> > makes the most sense.
>
> Google Groups and Google News both offer a choice of "date" or
> "relevance" (date being "most recent first").

In my experience, I have found date-based ordering useful when
searching mail.

> Incidentally, Gmane's search offers both these and also "reverse date",
> which shows the oldest matches first - not so useful in general, but
> people requested it and it's easy to do once you've implemented sorting
> by "date".  It lets people find their "first post" if nothing else!

Reverse date sorting is useful, and I use it on occassion on the
various archives I have maintained and search.

I do think such a facility may be useful for a certain-type of user,
but chronology can be considered an intrinsic property of mail/news
archives.

--ewh
--
Earl Hood, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>