Markus Stenberg writes:
> Is this actually desired by the operators? At least here (.fi), ISPs
> seem to consider the reverse pointing to x.customer.y.isp.fi a
> feature, not a bug, of the current IPv4 deployment and specified
> same for future IPv6 deployments as well. (At the moment my ISP does
> not officially support IPv6, but do provide it via 6rd, and I get
> NXDOMAIN for reverses, but v4 is populated for more or less all
> ISPs.)

The Ficora (Finnish Communications Regulatory Authority)
recommendation for taking IPv6 in use for consumers in Finland
actually recommends that all ISPs do offer IPv6 reverse, either by
delegating it or automatically adding reverses for all IPv6 addresses.

https://www.viestintavirasto.fi/ohjausjavalvonta/ohjeettulkinnatsuosituksetjaselvitykset/ohjeidentulkintojensuositustenjaselvitystenasiakirjat/suositusipv6nkayttoonotostakuluttajalaajakaistaliittymissa2002014s.html

It lists 3 different example methods how this can be done, and notes
that it is important that this is done automatically, i.e without
consumer needing to ask for anything (of course if you want the
reverses to be delegated to you, then you need to contact your ISP and
ask for it).

They examples they include are:

[7] IPv6 Dynamic Reverse Mapping,
http://users.on.net/~rmibus/pymds/IPv6-auto-rDNS.pdf

[8] Python Modular DNS Server (pymds),
http://code.google.com/p/pymds/

[9] Kazunori Fujiwara (JPRS), One implementation of IPv6
reverse DNS server,
http://member.wide.ad.jp/~fujiwara/v6rev.html

Btw, it also recommends that consumer always gets the same prefix and
that the lifetime of the prefix is long i.e. recommended value for
preferred lifetime is 7 days and recommended value for valid lifetime
is 30 days. This of course do have connection to the reverses,
especially if they are delegated to the consumer (which most likely
would also actually require completely stable prefix).

So if your ISP in finland does not offer IPv6 reverses yet, they do
not follow the recommendation, thus you could send them email and ask
them to start following "Ficora Recommendation 200/2014 S" :-)
--
kivi...@iki.fi