>> a method to delegate reverse [DNS] zones to CPE devices

> Is this actually desired by the operators?

I'm a little ashamed to admit that I don't understand the purpose of
reverse DNS.

To my naive eyes, if you already know the IP of a host, then you should be
able to ask the host directly for its hostname at the application layer --
unless you've already got the information (think SMTP HELO).  If your
application protocol doesn't support doing that, then there's RFC 4620.
(Yeah, I know, experimental.)

Note that there's no new security issues with doing that -- you still
confirm that the given hostname maps to the host's IP address, as you
already do with the hostname obtained from reverse DNS.

I'm probably confused -- could somebody please explain?

-- Juliusz